Ingredients: For the dough: 1 cup warm milk 1 cup warm water 1/2 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon sugar 1...
Yeast-Free Soft Poğaça (Turkish Savory Pastries)
For the Dough:
- 2 eggs (separate 1 yolk for brushing the pastries)
- 2 cups plain yogurt (220 ml cup)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 packets baking powder
- All-purpose flour (approximately 5 cups)
For the Filling:
- White cheese (1 bowl)
- Parsley (half a bunch)
For the Topping:
- Egg yolk
- Sesame seeds, nigella seeds (çörek otu)
- Start by preparing the filling for the pastries. Take white cheese and crumble or grate it into a bowl. Add finely chopped parsley and mix well.
- For the dough, in a separate bowl, mix vegetable oil, salt, sugar, yogurt, and one of the eggs (separate the yolk).
- Sift in the baking powder and all-purpose flour gradually, kneading until you get a soft, non-sticky dough. The dough should have a consistency that does not stick to your hands.
- Take lemon-sized pieces from the dough, roll them in between your palms, and flatten them slightly.
- Place the cheese filling in the center of each flattened dough piece and fold it lengthwise to give it a crescent shape.
- Arrange the pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the pastries with the beaten egg yolk and make a light incision in the center using a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and nigella seeds (çörek otu) on top of the pastries.
- Bake the pastries in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) until they turn golden brown.
- Serve the pastries warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Thanks to aysununmutfaklezzetleri for the recipe.