Ingredients: For the Cake: 3 eggs 1 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 packet baking...
For 2 trays:
- 125g (about 3 heaping tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature (Note: The choice of butter is important for a delicious dessert, so choose a good-quality one.)
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (make sure it is not sour or watery)
- 1 packet baking powder
- 1 egg
- 8 drops of lemon juice
- Approximately 6 cups of all-purpose flour (add gradually until the dough reaches a non-sticky consistency; you may need slightly more or less depending on the dough)
- Sufficient amount of whole walnuts
- 4 cups of water
- 4 cups of granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt (the salt ensures the syrup remains stable and prevents crystallization)
- Let’s start by preparing the syrup. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once it starts boiling, add a pinch of salt and let it simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Then, set it aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, vegetable oil, yogurt, egg, and baking powder.
- Squeeze 8 drops of lemon juice over the baking powder. Gradually add the flour to the mixture and knead the dough until it reaches the right consistency. The dough should not stick to your hands.
- Take small lemon-sized pieces of the dough and roll them into balls. Place them on a mold called “kalbur,” and use three fingers to make an indentation in the middle of each ball.
- Place whole walnuts in the indentation, arranging them as shown in the photograph. Join the two ends of the dough together, ensuring that the walnuts are slightly visible.
- Arrange the prepared desserts on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake them in a preheated oven at 175°C (about 347°F) until they turn golden brown.
- Once the desserts are slightly cooled (approximately 10 minutes later), pour cold syrup over them and let them rest for about 45 minutes.
- After that, the dessert is ready to be served. There’s no need to soak it in the syrup for an extended period. Enjoy your delicious Kalburabastı dessert!
Recipe credit to seyma_chef.