Turkish Bread Pudding
3 eggs 1 cup granulated sugar 1.5 cups all-purpose flour 1 packet baking powder 1 packet vanilla extract
For Caramel Syrup:
3.5 cups water 3.5 cups granulated sugar
2.5 cups milk 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut 6 tablespoons granulated sugar 1 packet vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 5 minutes. Then add the flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased rectangular baking dish or pan (small size) and bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius (340 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes without opening the lid. After the cake cools down, leave it aside to be used as the base.
- For the caramel syrup, place the sugar in a saucepan over low heat and melt it. Once the sugar turns into a liquid, slowly add 3.5 cups of boiling water. The sugar may solidify again, so bring the syrup to a boil again and stir until the sugar completely dissolves. Pour half of the syrup over the bottom part of the cake (the top part will also be soaked in syrup).
- To prepare the filling, mix all the ingredients, except for the desiccated coconut and vanilla, in a saucepan and cook. After cooking, add the desiccated coconut and vanilla, and beat the mixture with an electric mixer. Let the filling cool down.
- Cut the cooled cake horizontally into two pieces. Place the bottom part back into the baking dish.
- Spread the filling evenly over the bottom layer. Carefully place the top part back on top, and pour the remaining syrup over the cake to soak it.
- Let the Ekmek Kadayıfı rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream or whipped topping on top.
Enjoy your Turkish Bread Pudding
Recipe courtesy of yemek_kelebegi.