Ingredients 4 medium potatoes A pinch of parsley 1 teaspoon of chili paste 1 tablespoon of tomato paste 1 egg...
Original Karaköy Poğaça Recipe
- 250 grams margarine or butter
- 2 eggs (yolk separated, white for brushing)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon salt (add cautiously)
- 1/2 packet fresh yeast (or dry yeast)
- Approximately 7 cups flour (add cautiously)
For the filling:
- Çökelik cheese or any desired cheese
For the topping:
- Egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix the fresh yeast, melted margarine or butter, and other ingredients until you obtain a dough with a soft consistency that does not stick to your hands.
- In this recipe, we don’t let the dough rest for too long. After kneading the dough, you can let it rest for about 20-25 minutes as the proofing time on the tray will be sufficient. Take pieces of the dough the size of a mandarin and flatten them with your hands into circles the size of a small plate. Place the filling on the dough and fold it over. Arrange them on a baking tray and let them rest for 20 minutes.
- Finally, brush the tops with a mixture of egg yolk and vegetable oil, make diagonal cuts with a fork, and sprinkle sesame seeds if desired. The addition of vegetable oil to the egg yolk helps the poğaças to brown nicely.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius until golden brown on top.
- Serve the poğaças while still hot. There you have it, your Karaköy poğaça is ready! This recipe yields approximately 22 poğaças, enough for about 2 trays. If you want fewer poğaçasto be made, divide the dough into larger pieces. If you want more poğaças, divide the dough into smaller pieces.
- Enjoy your delicious Karaköy poğaça.
Thanks to @ilknurunpastablogu for the recipe.