Ingredients: 1 packet of baklava pastry sheets (45 sheets) 125g of butter (for layering between the sheets) For the Syrup:...
For the dough:
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- 125g margarine
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- Approximately 3.5 cups all-purpose flour
For the syrup:
- 3 cups sugar
- 3.5 cups water
- A few drops of lemon juice
For the filling:
- Crushed walnuts
- First, prepare the syrup for kalburabastı. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water, then bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Afterward, add a few drops of lemon juice and continue to simmer for another 4-5 minutes. Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the margarine, milk, vegetable oil, yogurt, semolina, and baking soda. Gradually add the flour and knead the dough until you get a smooth consistency.
- Take pieces of dough, about the size of a large walnut, and shape them into round balls. Press each ball into a kalburabastı mold. Place some crushed walnuts in the center of each mold, then fold the edges of the dough over the walnuts to seal it completely. Turn the mold upside down to release the shaped kalburabastı, and place them on a baking tray with some space between each one. There is no need to grease the baking tray as the dough is oily enough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and bake the kalburabastı until they are nicely golden brown.
- Once the kalburabastı are baked, remove them from the oven and immediately pour the cooled syrup over the hot pastries.
- Allow the kalburabastı to soak in the syrup for a few hours, then they will be ready to serve.
You can garnish the kalburabastı with chopped pistachios or desiccated coconut before serving if desired.
Enjoy your delicious kalburabastı!
Recipe courtesy of yemek_kelebegi.